I’m alive… And I took pictures!!

Sooooo, from what I read on other seamstresses blogs I’m not the only one struggling to take pictures. To be honest when it’s between some sewing time and some picture taking time, sewing wins every time… But I managed to make an effort. I praised so much the Lekala patterns that you deserve to see what they look like. CIMG2327 So as I said in my previous post, I started with Lekala 4285. It’s a nice pencil skirt with some shaping and pleats at the back. CIMG2308 The fabric is a stretch cotton pique from Mood. If I remember properly it was from Theory. It has quite a lot of stretch so it’s actually perfect for a pencil skirt to make the walk easy. CIMG2321 I made one alteration that is going to sound major but it’s actually kind of my fault. Between the stretch of the fabric and me being scared of not having enough ease in the hip area (so I stated a bigger hip measurement that usual when I ordered my pattern), the skirt was really big when I tried it on (before adding the facing). I ended up removing 1/2″on each side (total reduction 2″!!). Other than that, I made no alteration, not even the length!! CIMG2322 I used seam binding for all the seams. I’m sort of a seam binder maniac. I only got a serger this year and sometimes I get very upset that I don’t get good results right away. Because of my classes at FIT, I took the habit of binding the raw edges of my muslin samples (yes I like to get As…) so I bind quite fast now… But I promised that I’m improving my use of the serger, I try to use it at least once per project.

IMG_2202


I think the skirt will get a lot of wear, mostly at work. Of course, being white, it does suffer from a typical Murphy’s Law. Everytime I wear it, I have a 50% chance to drop something on it (think coffee, blood, anything that will show A LOT) in the first hour that I arrive in the office. It would be way too easy if it happened before I left the house, because I could change and where would be the fun of trying to conceal a stain for the whole day!

IMG_2196
The fabric definitely appears more wrinkly in the pictures than it is in real life. All the back seams are top stitched as well as the top of the pleats.

IMG_2197If you plan on making of these patterns, don’t rely on the instructions. Google Translate will NOT do a good job translating sewing stuff from russian to any other language. However the technical drawings are quite accurate so they are worth taking a look (or 2, or more…) at. IMG_2199

For the invisible zipper, I used my favorite technique (from Fashion Incubator), I know some people do it differently but I really don’t know why. It works perfectly every time! The adjustments that you need to your pattern are the followings:

  • The seam allowances in the zipper area is 1/2″, from the top to 1.5″ lower than the finishing point of the zipper.
  • The rest of the back seam is the way you like it (for me it’s 3/8″).
  • The facings have 0 seam allowance where they are going to be sewn onto the zipper.
  • Once you did this, you can refer to this post for the sewing order (includes pictures for the visual learners). I never even made the pressing jig (I’m too lazy).

So in my configuration, the pattern looks like this :

IMG_1372

And the finish zipper on the inside :IMG_2203

What’s your favorite zipper insertion method? Have you tried the Fashion-Incubator ones ?

Next time I will show you the little 90’s dress but I also already made a variation from that pattern and I finished the Jedediah shorts (YAY!!) so stay tuned, updates are coming!

About these ads

Comments

  1. Lovely! And your finishes are so neat and elegant. I completely understand how taking photos slows down blogging. All that struggle to get light, space and (in my case) trying to tame my hair!

    • The Sewing French Girl says:

      Thanks! Your hair comment made me laugh, mine is also an extra time consumer. One day i’ll take pictures with my “real” hair!

  2. c’est une bien jolie jupe avec de belles découpes.

Trackbacks

  1. […] If you remember, I scared you in this post deciding to use an old school Lekala Pattern, namely Lekala 5166. IT IS scary on paper but in real life it’s just a cute fitted dress! The only change I made to the pattern (made to measure with the Lekala advanced features) was to make it shorter, waaaay shorter. I also changed the seam allowances in the back on the dress and the facings to apply my favorite invisible zipper method. […]

  2. […] the invisible zipper (still with the Fashion-Incubator technique), sew the center back seam (and the […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 233 other followers

%d bloggers like this: